Saturday, June 23, 2012

The year that has been... reflections from Kenyan student

The year that has been…
Besides newness bringing excitement and blessings, it also carries with itself a dose of uncertainty in the new experiences. When it was evident that I was coming to Hungary and after the excitement of an academic door opened, uncertainty knocked at my door. I and those I love asked many questions that only enhanced the uncertainty. As I embarked on the journey, I fully trusted that my steps shall be ordered by the compass of God’s will and I had a deeper conviction all shall be well.
My academic journey has been insightful and indeed helpful. I have interacted with new thoughts in missiology as well as reading the experiences of other people who have walked on the same path. The library of the mission institute has been of great value to me and the wisdom I have drawn from it is immensely wealthy.
I here below highlight some of the great lessons I have learned throughout the year:
 It is surprising that I needed to be out of Africa to learn about some things about Africa in missiology, like the change of center of gravity of world Christianity.
 The concept of mission dei and its connection to the doctrine of the holy trinity.
 Coming from a context where mission is exclusively evangelistic, the multidimensional nature of mission has been a great eye opener especially through the emerging missionary paradigms of David Bosch.
 The understanding of historic missions paradigms.
 Mission spirituality.
Also, through seminars, roundtable meetings, conferences and other forums organized in the mission institute, I have learned so much and also met so many people from different parts of the world and hearing their experiences and interacting with them has not left me the same. I was also able to share my stories and experiences with these people and we have since developed an ongoing relationship with some of them and we continue praying for each other and listening to each other.
The greatest of all uncertainties was where I will be staying. When I was admitted at the student’s hostel I definitely had fears and worries on issues like language and how I will fit in, in a totally different nation and continent. As an African, I thought I will be lost and isolated but I thank God because a few months down the line all the fears and worries that had initially invaded me have been fully frustrated by the hand of friendship and fellowship that I have received here. Having being a student’s pastor before, I felt that my presence in the hostel was actually a continuation of my ministry. I have actively participated in the social life of the hostel especially in prayer meetings, sports and other communal activities. The pre-Christmas experience at the hostel was reminiscent of carol service of my own church back home, St. Andrews Presbyterian church, Nairobi with wonderful singing of carols and the New Year’s Eve was a blast, where in excitement we ushered the New Year with brothers and sisters of the hostel. In a nutshell I have loved being in the hostel and have really enjoyed the friendship and fellowship of all the people in the hostel and I pray that God will make it possible for me to stay there for my last year.
It has not been very easy for me all the times because I have experienced some down experiences on the journey especially family challenges. However, the prayer sessions and sharing we regularly did in the institute were more than valuable to me, becoming like a support system for me when am crumbling down. One of the English football clubs has a slogan that says, “You will never walk alone” and indeed I have not walked alone, I have received all the assistance I needed for my stay in Budapest and even though the solitude of being away from my family was real, I never felt lonely, thanks to the many people God brought on my way here. It’s amazing that the people I love back home in Kenya sent me off with love and it is indeed love that received me here in Hungary!
I pen off with some words of the great hymn, Anywhere with Jesus, which has been my portion here : “Anywhere with Jesus I can safely go, Anywhere He leads me in this world below; Anywhere without Him dearest joys would fade; Anywhere with Jesus I am not afraid…Anywhere with Jesus will be home, sweet home.”
I have been heartily welcomed and accepted, I have grown academically, spiritually and socially, and I can boldly say that my coming was indeed directed by God to whom I owe all gratitude. To his glory and to the blessing of us his people.
Always grateful!
Stephen Kariuki Apollo