Friday, June 22, 2012

MA Thesis Writing Consultations

KRE-CIMS, Spring Semester 2012

In the spring semester of 2012 Prof. Kool has been the consultant professor for master thesis for 6 students at the Baptist Theological academy (of which 3 have submitted their theses this semester and the other 3 is planning to submit in autumn 2012), 1 student at the Faculty of humanities of KRE and 1 student from the Faculty of Theology (the latter with the submission deadline March 2013).The group met every second Monday at the premises of CIMS. Participants had to present the current status of their MA thesis followed by a discussion in which evry student could as questions about the concept, methodology and the work of the candidate. The events were concluded by a presentation by Prof Kool which were to help the students in certain methodological and writing issues. The consultations were obligatory to those whose official consultant was Prof. Kool, however every time more students took part in the meetings, whose thesis was connected to missiology. Students came along other occasions, sometimes for a whole week to the library for their research, using the facilities of the guestroom at CIMS.

Some feedback from the students:
Péter Balogh, Baptist Theological Academy:
I have found the consultations very useful. I received feedbacks form Dr. Kool and form my felow students that have brought new thaoughts and prospectives to my research. Being able to see my fellow students’ research methods and working methods shaped my own research methodology.
It was very helpful t hat I had to present my research topic to an academic group even at the phase of drafting. Thus i had an academic control form the begining. As a result of the consultations I narrowed my research, made several amendments, and included new topics in my thesis. I have receive sugestions for literature also which I had not found previously.
It was the result of the consultations that I understoodthe real purpose of a thesis research and that it is written in an academic environment. I am in particular thankful to Dr. Kool who carefully examined my thesis in the course of writing and with her comments was a great help to accomplish it.

Péter Márki Baptist Theological Academy:
The consultations were really motivating because „more eyes see more”. Geting an insight to other people’s work wasinspiring to me. The consultations helped me in getting an overview and a good research plan, though I could not finish it this semester. Ihope these consultations will continue.

Zsolt Kapitány Baptist Theological Academy:
I have found the consultations of the research group helpful in many ways: We met regularly, so we had a constant push to work, because we had to present what progress we had made since the last meeting. This helped us also to practice presenting a topic to an acedemic public. Also we experienced a community in which we could encourage each other for perseverance in the work. Also the comments and questions of my fellow students helped me to clarify my own concept. In addition they enlightened me which part should I avoid and which sould I emphasize in my thesis. The methodological issues presented by Dr Kool helped me to carry out a profound and well structured research.

Judit Györfi Lutheran Theological University:
I gained much form the consultations. Looking at my thesis research from the outside my fellow students draw my attention to parts which I would have never thought about sitting in a room on my own. On the other hand meeting regularly students in a similar situation was a great encouragement. After every meeting I gained new impulse and inspiration to carry on with the work. Also the information from dr Kool on methodology helped me to pay attention to the footnotes, the clear linking of the chapters , to the conclusion, etc. I think these consultations were good occasions by which we could benefit a lot.

Imre Szólláth Baptist Theological Academy:
MY fellow students adressed to me many questions during and after my presentation. I really felt as being in a defence where I have to defend my concept ad hipothesis. As a result of this discussion I could see my topic from another prospective as well. It helped me to keep balance between the various opinions and also inspired me to make many interviews.

Ruzsa Nagy Zoltán, 22 June 2012